Sunday, March 11, 2012

NI HAO FROM WUHAN, CHINA

I traveled to Wuhan, China last week for work. It was an extremely short trip with limited time to explore the city.

According to wikipedia, Wuhan is the most populous city in Central China with nearly 10 million people. Based on it's location, it's a transportation hub for China and is sometimes referred to as the "Chicago of China" - a place I can easily relate to, as I grew up just outside of Chicago:)

I arrived late Saturday evening. Early Sunday morning I was woken by what sounded like gun fire outside my hotel room. I rushed to my window to see what was going on. I couldn't believe what I saw - Fireworks going off outside my hotel room at 6:45am on a Sunday morning. I asked several locals that day about the fireworks, but unfortunately no one knew why they were set off.


Wuhan duck is the local delicacy known for it's spicy flavor. The head and the neck are the popular snack items.


Here are a couple of evening shots of Wuhan.


Our hotel had a revolving restaurant at the top, where I was able to snap a couple of pictures of the city during breakfast. The air was quite smoggy.





I tried to capture what it was like crossing the streets in Wuhan. The street lights aren't always on and the motor bikes and cars have the right away. You have to be so careful crossing the street, as the cars and bikes come in all directions!
From Wuhan, I traveled to Shanghai, which I will blog about in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much smog there is in Wuhan! Is it a factory city? I love your blog, my darling! M

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, its not a factory city. It's populated like many other large cities in China and does have an economic district but is not distinctly a factory city. Actually, Wuhan is best known as being a University city. What causes the vast amount of smog is the fact that it is surrounded on all sides by rivers, causing the condensation to trap the pollution.

    ReplyDelete