Wednesday, June 13, 2012

BEIJING'S FORBIDDEN (AND HAUNTED) CITY



I was in Beijing last week and was able to make it to the Forbidden City just before it closed. Depending on the time of the year, the Forbidden City closes either at 4:30pm or 5:00pm. I asked a friend why the Forbidden City closes so early. Her response, "Ghosts." I looked at her shocked as she nodded her head up and down.

Many people were executed in the Forbidden City during the Ming and Qing dynasty's. Evidently night guards have witnessed ghosts after dark, such as odd animals running around the grounds or crying women in the concubine quarters. According to the locals, the Forbidden City is haunted.

I hadn't been back since my trip with M in 2006 and had forgotten what a grand and expansive palace the emperors built six centuries ago. It consists of nearly 1,000 buildings marked with detailed carvings and decorative art. And just before you exit, you walk through a beautiful imperial garden. Lucky for me, I exited well before the sunset.









I can't believe it's been 6 years since our first trip to Beijing. It's crazy to look at our old pictures and see two very young people who had no idea (and continue to have no idea) what was in store for them. Here we thought traveling to Beijing was a once in a lifetime trip. It's funny where life can take you. And man, we are on quite the adventure.

Our trip to the Forbidden City back in 2006







2 comments:

  1. I love it! I love the pics and the narrative. The costume market post was great too. love you! -whit

    ReplyDelete