Saturday, June 16, 2012

DETOX



We have officially been living in Hong Kong for 5 months. While the past 5 months have been extremely exciting and filled with new adventures, moving to a new city can be stressful on the mind and body, which are sort of put on the back burner until you feel more settled (cue emotional eating and no time for the gym!). 

Back in NYC, when I began to feel unhealthy from overindulging in eating and drinking, it was easy to find a juice cleanse program that could reset my body. There were plenty of delivery options, such as Blueprint Cleanse or Organic Avenue. Or if you wanted to grab a juice during the work day, you could stop by several places such as Norma Kamali's wellness cafe in Midtown or Liquiteria in the East Village. I had so many options (all I really needed was willpower!). I got in the habit of doing a juice cleanse for 3-5 days every 6 weeks to really flush out the toxins in my body. It felt great.

When I moved to Hong Kong, I searched for local juice cleanse programs or juice bars and was disappointed with the limited options. The available options were more catered towards offering sweeter fruit juices or smoothies, not green juices, which really help detox the body. I have to admit that drinking a berry and banana smoothie sounds way better than drinking a cup of kale, celery and parsley. But, I know which one my body needs more...

So when Genie Concepts, a fresh pressed juice store, opened in Sheung Wan, I was thrilled but skeptical at the same time. Would the juices at Genie Concept cater towards people wanting to seriously detox?

The answer is yes! I just finished a quick 2 day cleanse and I have to say that it was pretty good. The juices reminded me of everything I liked about the Blueprint Cleanse juices. They were fresh, not as thick in consistency and followed a similar juicing pattern, by starting off the day with a lemonade, drinking green juices in the middle and ending the day with a more fulfilling raw cashew juice (Genie adds raw cocoa and cinnamon, an added plus!).

Below are some pictures of the juices. Sorry I didn't get any pics of the green juices. "The Hulk" (Celery, Cucumber, Parsley, Cayanne) and "The Four Leaf Clover" (Spinach, Apple, Parsley, Himalayan Salt) were great!

Your juices come in a great carrying bag, which makes it easy to transport them to and from work.

"Splash" Juice #1 - Filtered Water, Lemon, Lime, Raw Agave and Himalayan Salt

"Orag Utan" Juice #4 - Carrot, Celery and Ginger


"Sweet Dreams" Juice #6 - Filtered Water, Raw Cashew, Raw Cacao, Raw Agave, Cinnamon, Coconut Flower Sugar, Pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt

I ended my juice cleanse last night with a detox yoga class at Pure Yoga and woke up this morning feeling extremely refreshed, energetic and healthy.

My only improvement suggestion for Genie Concepts would be to include more green juices in the "expert" level. I would have definitely replaced the carrot and beet juices with the green juices.

If you live in HK and are interested in doing a detoxifying juice cleanse, definitely check out Genie Concepts by visiting their website or store in Sheung Wan.

Also, for more on the benefits of juice cleanses, check out my friend Noelle's website at www.greenlemonade.com.

Genie Concepts
Shop B, G/F, Universal Building
5-13 New Street, Sheung Wan
+852-2803-0369
www.thegenieconcept.com



No comments:

Post a Comment